Old July 10th 09, 04:19 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Jack Newhouse Jack Newhouse is offline

Default What is the best handheld scanner on the market today?

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:41:12 -0700, "Alex Clayton"
wrote:

"Jack Newhouse" wrote in message
.. .
My friend tell me I need to write a book
in my decades of listening to scanner conversations. :-)
If I can find enough notes, maybe I will do that.

I looked at the 396XT last night. It is a pretty scanner. I'll read up
on the Icom and AOR today.

My Bearcat 895XLT and Pro-2006 still work fine as desktops though.

And so it goes.

Cell has gone almost all digital. No scanner you can buy will let you listen
to it. I am surprised there is any analog call service anywhere any more.
Cordless phones many years ago went to a system that the scanners you can
buy will not pick up. When it first hit it was of course expensive, but like
all tech, it has dropped in price like a rock. I have not looked at a new
cordless phone for quite a while, but I would be surprised if they even
still sell new ones that can be picked up with your scanner. So again this
is something that will soon be completely gone.
As for Police/ Fire, even if your area does not yet use some kind of
Trunking, they may well soon do so. It would be wise to buy a scanner than
can be used with Trunking, even if it is not yet in your area.

We just got radio, television, and computers here in
Rushlimbaughville, MO this year. So I have no clue as to what trunking
can do.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Cape-G...-Missouri.html

All that means to me is two elephants using their trunks to wrestle
each other.

Can anyone find a site that will tell you whether there is any
trunking around here, or in Southern illinois, or Northwestern
Kentucky and Tennessee?