Old July 13th 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Jack Newhouse Jack Newhouse is offline

Default What is the best handheld scanner on the market today?

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 06:47:06 -0700, Evan Platt
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 05:08:54 -0500, Jack Newhouse
wrote:

OK as I'm reading right now, I notice that the AOR has a frequency
range from 500K to 3GHZ
The Uniden goes from 25MHZ to 3Ghz

Does that mean that I can use the AOR scanner to pick up shortwave
stations around the world from 500khz on up to 30mhz, and the Uniden
can't? Also WWV at 5,10,15 mhz.

Shortwave is far more important to me in this area than is a trunking
ability.

Yes, that's correct. I'd suggest if there's ANYTHING at all in the
area that's trunked or digital, go with a digital scanner, and get an
inexpensive shortwave receiver.

You make a good point. for a minute there, I just loved the idea of
having one radio that picks up everything but trunking.

I do have two Sony 2010's that are portable and work fine. I have a
Grundig YB400 radio that works well also. Then I also have a Degen SW
radio that is very small and gets outstanding reception.

So if I get the top Uniden, I will be able to pick up agencies when I
travel to larger cities like St. Louis, Chicago, Memphis, or some
other place. As my father used to tell me about carrying guns and
knives to school when I was a teenager: "Son, it is better to have
them in your gym bag, and not need them; than to need them one time
and not have them."

So now that I'm settling on the Rolls Royce of Unidens, it become a
question of finding where I can get it the cheapest. :-)