Old October 27th 03, 07:18 PM
Michael A. Terrell

clc wrote:

I need around 20amps to run my mobile HF rig in the house. I have lots
of old PC switching power supplies that put out 8 - 10 amp @ 12v
without any problem.
Im wondering if anyone has ever had any luck connecting two or more
in parallel to increase current ? Ive thought of adding a stud
mount diode in the positive leads to isolate them and connect the
common or neg together. I can raise the voltage to makeup for the .6
volt drop without any problem.
Not having a lot of switching supply experience, I wonder if this
will work or just go up in smoke?

I wouldn't recommend it. There are computer power supplies made for
N+1 hot swapping that will work well in parallel, but they are designed
for that application. Look around for a surplus power supply big enough
to handle the radio.
--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida