Old July 19th 09, 12:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brenda Ann Brenda Ann is offline

Default OT Maybe

"SX-25" wrote in message
m...

I've been sitting here all week looking at this WIndows Vista and I cannot
build up the nerve to load it on my Windows XP machine. My Windows XP
works so well I hate to return to the Follies d'Renton and go back at
square one with patches and updates for the next few months trying to get
my computer then to work as well as it works now. If it's not broke don't
fix it. Too bad the MS folks don't smoke test their software before
unleashing it on us.

I know..."no guts, no glory." I am sure there are a few other sayings that
would fit here too.

But jeez I hate to fiddle with something just to have the newest...that
probably is little different from what I got now.

Depending upon the version of Vista, you could open a can of worms that
would bring a flock of birds your way.

Many pieces of hardware do not, and will not, have drivers for Vista.

Various versions of Vista have extremely restrictive DCMA software that
won't even let you load or play your own ripped mp3 files or pre-recorded
video.

There have also been issues with various application programs not running in
Vista, requiring you to install and run a "virtual machine" to run Windows
XP compliant programs. In addition to this, Vista dropped all "legacy"
support for 16 bit software. This is not normally a problem for most users,
but some have "favorite" screen savers or nostalgic video games that will no
longer run on Vista (or Windows 7 for that matter). Vista will not run most
emulators without tweaking.