Old July 19th 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default db relation TX/RX

On Jul 19, 5:36*am, Roy Lewallen wrote:
Rollie wrote:

. . .I've always used the (6db per

S unit) as a general rule-of-thumb.

Which is fine if you don't mind possibly being off by a factor of 50 or
more, mistaking the gain of a 3 element beam for the gain of a 150
element one. Or you might only be off by a factor of 10, thinking the 3
element beam only has the gain of a 30 element beam. Shucks, what's a
few dB anyway.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

All of my radios are at least 15 years old before DSP. I was wondering
manufactureres that had gone to DSP were using it to make S meter
indications more accurate. I am seeing this type of signal correction
being made in some of the equipment that I work on that has gone to
DSP.

Jimmie