Old July 24th 09, 01:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default Best 144/440 Antenna for Attic Installation

Dave Platt wrote:
The Arrow is an "open-sleeve" J-pole design. The other poles aren't
actively fed, but make up a critical part of the antenna design.

What are the pros and cons of an Arrow J-pole versus a Diamond X50A pole?

The Diamond X50A has a somewhat higher gain than the Arrow on 2 meters
(about 2 dB higher, if I'm reading the stats correctly) and a
significantly higher gain than the Arrow on 70 cm (about 5 dB higher).

The Arrow is about 6" shorter than the Diamond (might fit into an
attic space where the Diamond will not), has been tested at power
levels of up to a kilowatt (the Diamond is rated for 200 watts), and
costs only 40% as much as the Diamond. . .

Wow, 5 dB extra gain for an extra quarter wavelength, and 2 dB for an
extra 7/100 wavelength of size. That's quite a trick!

Do you maybe mean to say that the Diamond has a somewhat higher
*claimed* gain than the Arrow? If we're looking for high claimed gains
(and claimed power handling capability for that matter), some of the CB
whips should take the prize.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL