Old October 30th 03, 06:00 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Jeffrey D Angus wrote:

That was mostly hype stirred up by Geraldo Riviera. Back when he
was still caucasion.

The real problem with aluminum wiring was three fold. 1. For a
given current ration, the aluminum wire has to be bigger than
copper. 2. Special terminations (screw and or compression type)
marked CuAl shoud be used along with a gel like "No-Ox" to protect
the connection 3. Proper torque on the fastenings is manditory.

Given the special requirements and the attitude of most workers
that "I know what I'm doing" of course it was a disaster.

Jeff

Aluminum wiring really made the news after the "Beverly Hills"
Nightclub (Just across the Ohio river from Cincinnati, in Soutgate,
Kentucky) burnt down, and it was completely wired with aluminum wire.
The fire was so hot that there was little left to determine the quality
of the the wiring job. The nightclub was built with very nice, real wood
paneling (3/4" thick), and the heat of the fire vaporized a lot of the
wire and fixtures.

It was a very nice place. One of the TV manufacturers used to have
their annual classes there. I think it was Admiral, but its been so long
I really don't remember.

http://www.cincypost.com/bhfire/
--

Michael A. Terrell