Old August 2nd 09, 08:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Counterpoise for an end-fed wire antenna

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 17:30:31 GMT, "KJ4NTS" wrote:

I'm confused about the requirements for a counterpoise for an end-fed wire antenna. I understand
that it's needed, but I don't understand what the requirements are.

Hi OM,

What are YOUR requirements? (What bands, how long is it?)

Can a ground stake at the base of the feed point serve as a counterpoise, or does it need to be
another wire running under the ground below the antenna?

Both, and more wire(s).

If a wire is required, how long does the counterpoise have to be?

For single band operation? (You aren't very clear about this.) The
deeper into the ground (and deeper than 6 inches doesn't count for
much), the less resonant it will become. Make it as long as your wire
overhead - maybe less.

Would it be better to use insulated or uninsulated wire for a buried counterpoise?

Doesn't matter.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC