Old August 3rd 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell[_2_] John Ferrell[_2_] is offline

Default Minimum gauge wire for connection to ground rod

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 02:58:29 GMT, "KJ4NTS" wrote:

I have about a 50 foot run from my radio to the outside ground rod. What's the minimum gauge wire
that is acceptable for this connection?

The last time I checked the minimum wire size for a ground intended to
protect from lightning is #6.

50 feet of any wire will not work as an RF ground for anything other
than a quarter wave at 50 feet!

Your next question is about driving another ground rod: If you do, the
second ground must be tied to the first with a minimum of #6 wire or
you set up a dangerous ground loop.