Old August 4th 09, 12:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Art Unwin Art Unwin is offline

Default Minimum gauge wire for connection to ground rod

On Aug 3, 4:51*pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Art Unwin" wrote in message

On Aug 3, 3:09 pm, Bruce in alaska wrote:

In article ,
It is for this reason the transmitter chassis is grounded and
separated from the radiator system which has it's own closed circuit
and where the potential is above that of true ground. In this way your
transmitting circuit does not have a ground loop which is the last
thing that you want.

i don't know where you get your radios, but in all of them here the coax
connector is connected to the transmitter chassis which also has a lug for
going to the safety ground.

By golly, I believe you are correct! I thought that was a bad
practice! Are all electronics at the same potential in the U.S. as
its container? So with a ground connection at the electrical supply
point and a provided connection for another generated "ground", is
that not an invitation for ground loops?

Lightning tries to get to the true ground by the shortest route and
the requirement is for you to not *be part of it's route, even if your
radio has to be the sacrificial lamb if you haven't pulled the plug.

there ain't no such thing as 'true ground', tis all relative.

H'mm, the ground point with the lowest potential relative to other
ground potentials in the same system is the "true" ground of the
system. Now can you tell me which "ground" is protected and from
what? And RF ground; is that protected from lightning? Lightning is
multi frequency oriented so it would appear to me it would gyrate
towards a radiator.
What about just one wire to the antenna and let the earth be the
return line to close the circuit! Seems like the definitions have gone
awry without involvement of a chassis ground
but then it is you that is electrically educated and the better judge.