Old August 4th 09, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Minimum gauge wire for connection to ground rod

KJ4NTS wrote:
On 3-Aug-2009, Michael Coslo wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/ns7jjd

Is a nice station grounding pdf from Polyphasor. Sorry for the tinyurl,
the original url is a mile long.

Everyone should have a copy, and the writer should get an award for his
or her clarity.

That's a good article, but it is focused on grounding for lightning protection. I am interested in
that, but I am also interested in having an effective RF ground.

I've been able to get a total of 16 feet of ground rod down in the form of 4 four-foot rods, but I
have a 50 foot run from my office to the ground rods, and I'm concerned about RF impedance in that
connection.

Gathering from your other posts, you are in a difficult situation. RF
grounding from a non ground floor or basement location is an issue. The
problem is proportional to the frequency and wavelength, which is to say
that at 10 meters, your RF ground won't.

Is there any possibility of putting in a balanced antenna? Or one of the
so called no-ground verticals? All antenna setups are a compromise of
one sort or another. Your setup will be a little bit more of a compromise.

This isn't to say there is no solution. There is always a solution of
some sort.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -