Old August 4th 09, 02:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
PA7RG PA7RG is offline

Default Kenwood TS-830S

schreef in bericht
I hear hams talking about the Kenwood TS-830S "GOLD LABEL". like it is
something special...My question is : What does the gold label mean?
For several years I worked as service manager for a Kenwood
dealer,attended the Kenwood service seminars ,received all Kenwood
bulletins etc...Never have I ever heard Kenwood refer to or advertise
a gold label edition of the 830..Can someone tell me the true,factual
story on the gold label ..TNX W4PQW

Source: http://www.k4eaa.com/faq.htm
What is the difference between a TS-830S and a TS-830S "Gold Edition" or
"Gold Label?"

At some point Kenwood introduced the "Gold" version of the 830S. It came
from the factory with all four filters installed, 2 for CW and 2 for SSB.
The 830S had a VBT control, which required overlapping of the 2 sets of
filters, by varying the heterodyne frequencies, to achieve a variable
bandpass. The standard 830S had only the 2 SSB filters factory installed,
with the CW filters optional. The VBT with the standard filters varied the
bandpass from about 800Hz to 2.4KHz. Adding either CW filter will allow a
500Hz CW bandwidth, but the inclusion of BOTH filters allowed the VBT to
adjust from 0 to 500Hz BW - A very nice improvement. The "Gold" series came
with all 4 filters installed. Be advised that many Gold 830S's today have
had their CW filters removed and sold separately..

UPDATE: I continue to occasionally hear from people that dispute the
Gold/Full-Filter statement. After looking at over 100 TS-830S's I still
have yet to find a Gold that didn't either have the filters installed, or
show positive signs of filter removal. This issue will probably remain in
limbo, however, until someone finds a brochure or sales flyer touting this
"Full Boat" transceiver. People have seen them, bought 830's as a
consequence, but no one has any real proof.

BREAKING NEWS: Joe Kenwood called me yesterday from Tokyo Japan, and
confirmed that "Golds" were delivered with all 4 filters factory installed.
This should put to rest any controversy, and prove my point once and for
all! Thanks, Joe! 8^D