Old August 4th 09, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
MoiInAust MoiInAust is offline

Default Kenwood TS-830S

"PA7RG" wrote in message

schreef in bericht
I hear hams talking about the Kenwood TS-830S "GOLD LABEL". like it is
something special...My question is : What does the gold label mean?
For several years I worked as service manager for a Kenwood
dealer,attended the Kenwood service seminars ,received all Kenwood
bulletins etc...Never have I ever heard Kenwood refer to or advertise
a gold label edition of the 830..Can someone tell me the true,factual
story on the gold label ..TNX W4PQW

Source: http://www.k4eaa.com/faq.htm
What is the difference between a TS-830S and a TS-830S "Gold Edition" or
"Gold Label?"

At some point Kenwood introduced the "Gold" version of the 830S. It came
from the factory with all four filters installed, 2 for CW and 2 for SSB.
The 830S had a VBT control, which required overlapping of the 2 sets of
filters, by varying the heterodyne frequencies, to achieve a variable
bandpass. The standard 830S had only the 2 SSB filters factory installed,
with the CW filters optional. The VBT with the standard filters varied
the bandpass from about 800Hz to 2.4KHz. Adding either CW filter will
allow a 500Hz CW bandwidth, but the inclusion of BOTH filters allowed the
VBT to adjust from 0 to 500Hz BW - A very nice improvement. The "Gold"
series came with all 4 filters installed. Be advised that many Gold
830S's today have had their CW filters removed and sold separately..

UPDATE: I continue to occasionally hear from people that dispute the
Gold/Full-Filter statement. After looking at over 100 TS-830S's I still
have yet to find a Gold that didn't either have the filters installed, or
show positive signs of filter removal. This issue will probably remain in
limbo, however, until someone finds a brochure or sales flyer touting this
"Full Boat" transceiver. People have seen them, bought 830's as a
consequence, but no one has any real proof.

BREAKING NEWS: Joe Kenwood called me yesterday from Tokyo Japan, and
confirmed that "Golds" were delivered with all 4 filters factory
installed. This should put to rest any controversy, and prove my point
once and for all! Thanks, Joe! 8^D

Joe Kenwood eh? From the horse's mouth. Very impressive. Now I would like
to hear from the designer of the RCA AR88, but as that was in 1939 and his
minimum age at design time cannot have been 20 that would make him
(scratches head and reaches for calculator) 90. Not too bad, I suppose..