Old August 5th 09, 11:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bushcraftgregg Bushcraftgregg is offline

Default Introducing the Sangean ATS909 - Anyone Got It?!

On Aug 4, 7:03*am, Brian Anasta wrote:
Hey Guys,

Was just browsing the online stores and noticed this little beauty.
Currently on sale at only $250 on one site and looking at the features
it looks like quite a bargain. Now, I have been told from a guy at my
local electronics outlet that this particular Sangean unit works
beautifully with external antennas. Furthermore, as well as having a
significant number of memory pages, the unit also possesses tremendous
medium-wave performance, which is something that IS very high on my
'must have' list. Considering this unit has much better coverage than
the Kaitos, I think for a beginner such as myself, it is going to give
me fewer problems in terms of getting used to it, with another
advantage being the supplied longwire which is FREE with the unit.

So after much consideration, I have whittled the choice down to 2 -
those being this Sangean or the beautiful looking Grundig G6 Aviator
(Special Buzz Aldrin Edition). Is gonna be A very tough choice to
settle on just the one!

Kind regards,
Brian Anasta

Brian the 909 also goes by the name of the Radio
Shack DX-398, that is where I got mine. I had a
hundred dollar credit from the store and then they
sent me a "gift certificate" for my birthday.

Between that and a couple small birthday gift
monies I purchased the 909/398 from the shack.

I was never so dissapointed in a purchase as I was
with that. I knew after a month or so either I was going to return it
or send it off to Radio Labs and that
is what I did.

I absolutely could not believe the difference in that
radio once they did their mods, the different filters
made it a "real" receiver and one that could be used
for UTES and other sideband listening.

They put a speaker in it that just blew away the stock speaker and
added another external antenna
jack. They modded the RF gain and there were some other mods they
included in their package, plus changing the LCD to a real nice indigo
blue.

Too bad all that wasn't done to the piece to begin
with straight from the factory, if it would have, it'd have been a
great receiver, but stock....nah baby
nah. I keep that radio now in my pelican case along
with my rung of wire and headphones/batteries in
my BOB (Bug Out Bag).