Old August 5th 09, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default Minimum gauge wire for connection to ground rod

"KJ4NTS" wrote in message

On 3-Aug-2009, "JB" wrote:

Primarily an RF ground since the antennas will be in my attic.

However, I
would appreciate the
information for both cases.

I think code calls for #6 solid Copper or Aluminum for lightning

protection.
Consider the 50 ft as part of the antenna though. Rather than even

trying
to have an RF "ground" try to make a counterpoise instead. Read up on

the
difference between RF ground, lightning ground, and electrical ground.

You
don't say what kind of antenna.

I could put a surface wire counterpoise in the crawl space under my office

where the radio is
located. If I did that, there would be only about a 5 or 6 foot run to

the center point of the
counterpoise.

Assuming the counterpoise wires are laying on the dirt floor of the crawl

space, how many wires
would I need, and how long do they need to be. I want to be able to work

6 through 40 meters.

If I install a wire counterpoise like this, is there any problem also

connecting the earth ground
connection to the central ground bar in my office?

The attic antenna is an Alpha Delta DX-EE.

This is a balanced antenna and if the antenna is stretched out in an area
where there is no metal it should do it's best. You probably won't benefit
from a counterpoise at all. In fact, any RFI you might encounter will have
to be specifically addressed because of the antenna is within the living
quarters. Your antenna will be too close to the ground and partly shielded
by roofing materials as it is for optimal performance, but we do what we can
just to get on the air when there is no good solution. Having said that, You
should be able to load up with an outboard tuner and make some contacts.