Old August 6th 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
CountFloyd CountFloyd is offline

Default Bentley Continental Gran Tourismo gone

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 03:07:30 -0700, Bushcraftgregg wrote:

On Aug 4, 10:42Â*am, John Plimmer wrote:
Yes, my magnificent Icom IC-7700 has been sold. It was definitely the
finest and best radio I will ever own, but at the end it was a huge
overkill in my small town and not being able to go to the coast for
DXpeditions sounded its death knell. It would not run on batteries and
at 35kg's/80lbs packed it was just too heavy to take anywhere.

So it will be replaced with an Icom IC-7600, a portable radio that will
run on 12v DC auto batteries. It has many of the fine features of the
7700 and is quite pricey at $4000, but aw shucks, you only live once
and you can't take it with you. Unfortunately the dealer has no stock
in Joburg and it may be a few months before he gets new stock in, So I
will just have to be patient and hope the ball and chain doesn't get
her hands on the boodle from the 7700.

Also I will sell the old Icom IC-756PROIII that I am currently DXing
with, and that will be replaced with a laptop and Perseus SDR - then I
will be fully up-to-date with the world's other top MW DXer's.

Later in August it is DXpedition time again, this time the beautiful
Jongensgat, so I hope for good weather and wonderful propagation.

Good job John, that is a pretty good chunk of change.

I got my Hammarlund 129X with Heathkit Q Mutiplier back yesterday,
totally recapped and realigned. The fella even added on for me a new
digital readout for an extra $30.00

Total cost $152 - why the extra two dollars I will never know. But I
know my Hammar really likes the broadcast bands.:-)

I have a great HQ-145XC. It has been totally gone over. Who did your
digital readout? That sounds like something I would be interested in for
my old HQ!

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"