Old August 6th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Minimum gauge wire for connection to ground rod

KJ4NTS wrote:
On 5-Aug-2009, "JB" wrote:

This is a balanced antenna and if the antenna is stretched out in an area
where there is no metal it should do it's best. You probably won't benefit
from a counterpoise at all.

The idea behind the counterpoise was to provide an RF ground for the radio, not as a part of the
antenna.

Ah, I'd never mind the counterpoise if you are using the balanced
antenna. Just put up the antenna, run the coax or ladder line, get
yourself a good station ground and some lightning protection. You are
not likely to get struck directly, but could be the victim of a large
static buildup. Polyphaser makes very good ones, and there is a simpler
one that uses a spark gap, which also provides protection. Don't know
the brand of that one. Disconnect the antenna and ground it when not in use.

I'd say with this setup, you could do DXCC. DXCC and other awards have
been achieved on more modest setups than what you are looking at
building. You won't be the loudest signal on the band, but there can
only be one of those anyhow.

Now get to work! 8^)

- 73 de Mike N3LI -