Old August 6th 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default Minimum gauge wire for connection to ground rod

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
KJ4NTS wrote:
On 5-Aug-2009, "JB" wrote:

This is a balanced antenna and if the antenna is stretched out in an

area
where there is no metal it should do it's best. You probably won't

benefit
from a counterpoise at all.

The idea behind the counterpoise was to provide an RF ground for the

radio, not as a part of the
antenna.

There is no need for the "radio" to have an RF ground.
If you are feeding the radio with 50 ohm coax that is matched in a 50 ohm
non-reactive load (ie tuner or dummy load) the RF will stay where it
belongs. The only concern for the balanced antenna, is lightning protection
and shock hazard from the power supply.
The best lightning protection depends on your specific situation so I will
leave you to read up on that.

Ah, I'd never mind the counterpoise if you are using the balanced
antenna. Just put up the antenna, run the coax or ladder line, get
yourself a good station ground and some lightning protection. You are
not likely to get struck directly, but could be the victim of a large
static buildup. Polyphaser makes very good ones, and there is a simpler
one that uses a spark gap, which also provides protection. Don't know
the brand of that one. Disconnect the antenna and ground it when not in

use.

I'd say with this setup, you could do DXCC. DXCC and other awards have
been achieved on more modest setups than what you are looking at
building. You won't be the loudest signal on the band, but there can
only be one of those anyhow.

I don't have DXCC but I do have a wall of cards from around the world. Many
of them were logged when I was mobile to and from work or school. It will
sharpen your skills to steal them from the big guns. I had a regular daily
lunch break sked with an Aussie from my truck in the parking lot.when the
sunspots were working. Conditions can even favor the well placed weak
station over the big guns. That is the sport of it all.

Now get to work! 8^)

- 73 de Mike N3LI -