Old August 6th 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bushcraftgregg Bushcraftgregg is offline

Default hi there

On Aug 6, 10:30*am, Krypsis wrote:

I used to take my trusty old FRG7 whenever I was sent OS. It must have
been one of the very earliest of them as I bought it in 1977. I see that
they were only produced from 77-80. In the old days I was sent OS for a
few weeks at a time but in recent years I rarely spent more than a few
days sorting out issues so I didn't bother taking anything other than my
Sony 7600D. The FRG7700 was much bulkier than the FRG7 anyway. That
7600D did a lot of miles with me until it met an untimely end. It got
drowned on one of my OS forays and I never bothered replacing it. Damn
tropical rainstorms!

I can imagine that scenario.

Interestingly, the 7600D seemed much more sensitive
* than any of the FRG's that I have owned. Maybe I should get another
one of them.

Maybe you should, that would be a trip if you
actually did.

I wished I had that piece you do and I know there

There's plenty out there that would give a 7700 a run for its money
these days.

Indeed, but it's not a 7700.:-)

At my age, going any higher than a 2-step ladder is fraught with risk.
My balance isn't what it used to be.

Hey, I can totally understand that, and I am at the
43 yr. old mark. I have to be a lot more careful than I
was 10 yrs. ago.

My 70 year old neighbour fell off
his roof a while back and it took him a good year to come good.

Yeah, he's lucky he didn't kill him himself.

Any
longwire I rig up will, at best, be a "jury rig". I probably wouldn't be
able to find my insulators, baluns, etc. so I will have to source some
of them I will have to get a younger, more agile person to do the
climbing however.

I am sure that won't be a problem, all you have to
do is simply ask. There are many that would be
more than happy to take care of it for you, I am sure- but you have to
ask. Believe
it or not, if you were in my neighborhood, I'd hook
you up, but then you would have to let me listen to
your receiver.:-)