Old August 6th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
WQGT447 WQGT447 is offline

Default Introducing the Sangean ATS909 - Anyone Got It?!

On Aug 5, 5:49*am, Bushcraftgregg wrote:
On Aug 5, 7:27*am, Brian Anasta wrote:

On Aug 5, 8:34 pm, Bushcraftgregg wrote:

Brian the 909 also goes by the name of the Radio
Shack DX-398, that is where I got mine. I had a
hundred dollar credit from the store and then they
sent me a "gift certificate" for my birthday.

I was never so dissapointed in a purchase as I was
with that. I knew after a month or so either I was going to return it
or send it off to Radio Labs and that
is what I did.

I absolutely could not believe the difference in that
radio once they did their mods, the different filters
made it a "real" receiver and one that could be used
for UTES and other sideband listening.

Dear Bushcraftgregg,

Thank you so much for your post, particularly your advice regarding
the 909. Greg I had pretty much decided on getting the 909 over the
next day or so, but after reading your post, I am now more than a
little hesitant. The problem is, being very new to the hobby, I am
somewhat reluctant to have to get any modifications done to a new unit
just off the shelf. Firstly, I would not know where to start in terms
of the kinds of mods I would need to get (although you have kindly
mentioned the mods on yours, such as the RF gain, filters and external
antenna jack etc). Secondly, I guess I don't really want to have to
wait any longer to get my new unit out of the package and into action.
Therefore I just really want to buy a unit where I can get on the
airwaves almost immediately.

After reading through your post again Gregg, and looking at some
further reviews which DO back up what you have said, I have decided to
instead go for the Grundid G6 Aviator. It has received mostly positive
reviews, and it really is a beautiful looking little unit to look at
(the Buzz Aldrin special edition). Not my first preference, but after
weighing up my options, I have decided to go for the Grundig instead.
If you have any experience with this Grundig unit Bushcraftgregg, or
can offer me any advice or guidance about its performance etc, I would
be very much grateful to you.

Well sorry for the long-winded post. Have a lovely evening mate and
bye for now.

Kind regards,
Brian

I have no idea about the Grundig, but know that you can purchase this
909/398 straight from RadioLabs
with the mods already done along with a satisfaction
guarantee.

Here is the link for their website, and like I said, the
difference was day and night.http://www.radiolabs.com/products/re.../super909.php- Hide quoted text -

Ditto here - I did this with the DX-398 (the RS clone of the Sangean)
and it's a real pip. Excellent unit.

Bruce Jensen