Old August 12th 09, 06:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default Best external speaker for SSB phone?

"W4PHS" wrote in message
No doubt there are 1000+ opinions on this, but what are some really clear

external speakers for use
with SSB phone signals through my Yaesu FT-897? I'm 61 years old with

high frequency hearing
impairment due to 40 years of sitting by computers, and I need all the

help I can get in
understanding voice over static.

I have seen several enthusiastic recommendations for the Peavey Impulse II

mini monitor which is
fairly small and costs about $100. Does anyone have any experience with

it?

Icom and Yaesu both make multi-hundred dollar external speakers that have

gotten mixed reviews.

I have been using a SP-230. A Kenwood TS-830 matching station speaker. Has
built in filters and radio 1/2 switch. The same circuit has been re-used
for various different Kenwoods under different names and cabinets. The
cabinets make all the difference and it would be really worth while for you
to sit down at different speakers and radios to compare them with your
particular ear. It's not uncommon for people to try several before finding
something comfortable.