Old August 12th 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Cushcraft Sale to MFJ

Edmund H. Ramm wrote:
BTW, sending an e-mail to MFJ's support desk is like transmitting
into a dummy load.

I have an MFJ-9020 20m CW transceiver I bought around 1994 or 1995. I also have
a 40m one too. I noticed that the 40m was much better at receiving.

At one time I needed a manual for it, having lost the one I got with it when
I moved, and filled out an olnline "manual request form". They sent one to
me via airmail.

I was able to align it with the instructions in the manual, but was not able to
determine the problem using the voltage measurements, substituting IC's, etc.

I sent them a detailed question via their support form (not an email) and
received a helpful reply from the person who designed the rigs.

I know who it was because he referred to other rigs he had designed.

Considering that I bought the rig 13-14 years, I think that's good support.

In the end, if anyone ever reads this in an archive, I found that I got a
lot more gain out of it by upping the internal voltage regulator to 10.7-10.8
volts instead of 10. I'm not sure in a high signal environment you would need
it, here there are a lot less signals, and they are much weaker.

The cost of doing so is that the radio will now no longer work properly with
less than 12 volts DC input. With the regulator set to 10 volts it will work
down to about 11.2 volts.

I hate it when I find a post where someone says "I found the answer to" and
never says what the answer was. :-)

Geoff.