Old August 12th 09, 03:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Bob Spooner Bob Spooner is offline

Default Best external speaker for SSB phone?

"W4PHS" wrote in message
No doubt there are 1000+ opinions on this, but what are some really clear
external speakers for use
with SSB phone signals through my Yaesu FT-897? I'm 61 years old with
high frequency hearing
impairment due to 40 years of sitting by computers, and I need all the
help I can get in
understanding voice over static.

I have seen several enthusiastic recommendations for the Peavey Impulse II
mini monitor which is
fairly small and costs about $100. Does anyone have any experience with
it?

Icom and Yaesu both make multi-hundred dollar external speakers that have
gotten mixed reviews.

The speaker you mentioned will handle up to 200 W peak. That's about 2
orders of magnitude above what most transceivers put out. I'd be surprised
if you could hear much of anything through it without a good external audio
amplifier. Most speakers like that sacrifice efficiency to get wide
frequency response - they respond way beyond the frequency content of ham
radio signals, even those of the hi fi AMers. (Think broadband noise.)

There's an amplifier/speaker combination advertized in QST (I think) that
you may find meets your needs. I don't recall the name of the product or
company, but I'll try to locate it if someone else doesn't chime in.

73,
Bob AD3K