Old August 12th 09, 08:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Dave B. Dave B. is offline

Default Best external speaker for SSB phone?

Have you thought of active noise cancelling headphones/headset?

There is no speaker that wil be able to come close, and the difference is
night and day.

Heil makes them. Perhaps others do as well. I have some expensive aviation
ANC headsets and Heil's compares favorably given the proce.

"W4PHS" wrote in message
No doubt there are 1000+ opinions on this, but what are some really clear
external speakers for use
with SSB phone signals through my Yaesu FT-897? I'm 61 years old with
high frequency hearing
impairment due to 40 years of sitting by computers, and I need all the
help I can get in
understanding voice over static.

I have seen several enthusiastic recommendations for the Peavey Impulse II
mini monitor which is
fairly small and costs about $100. Does anyone have any experience with
it?

Icom and Yaesu both make multi-hundred dollar external speakers that have
gotten mixed reviews.