Old August 16th 09, 04:53 AM
n9zas n9zas is offline
Senior Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Alex wrote:
Hi Everyone,

My brother recently purchased a Galaxy DX99V radio from a local pawn
shop for $100, and just looking for a CB radio to take over the road we
found this radio to be advertised as a 10m radio for ham operators
(which I am licensed, he is not), but it also does 11m for CB.

I'm still completely green with radios (been licensed for just 6 weeks
now), but it's my understanding that such a radio would be illegal. If
a device is type accepted for CB frequenies on 11m it would not legally
be able to transmit on 10m ham frequencies.

After reading some ads on this radio I'm seeing it advertised as a 10m
amateur radio, but looking at it it's obviously geared for CB radio
folks. I also can't see any sign that it's type accepted by the FCC.
With all this I'm guessing it's an illegal radio, but just thought I'd
ask if anyone can verify this.

We did test it, and yes, it can transmit on the CB channels amoung
others.

Thanks --

Alex

alex,
it doesn't matter........the fcc don't really care. the robot voice is
really cool on that radio. i bought a robot-echo mic for use on my 2
meter moon bounce and it sounds great!
The radio IS illegal for anyone but a licensed amateur radio op. to use. At best it's a piece of junk that most self respecting ops won't have because of all the junk installed in them!! WHY would anyone who took communications seriously want to sound like a freakin robot? Ops of this junk need to grow up in a major way! The last time someone brought me one to put a mic on,it met up with a LARGE hammer!! I have no idea what happened,lol!