Old August 15th 09, 06:13 PM posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.radio.shortwave,alt.news-media,alt.religion.christian,alt.politics.economics
Nickname unavailable Nickname unavailable is offline

Default President Ronald Reagan Speaks Out Against Socialized Medicine

On Aug 15, 10:58Â*am, 0baMa0 Tse Dung wrote:
From the 1961 Operation Coffee Cup Campaign against Socialized
Medicine as proposed by the Democrats, then a private citizen Ronald
Reagan Speaks out against socialized medicine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRdLpem-AAs

For the sake of your Life, Liberty and Happiness - Listen and listen
carefully.

http://www.ideachannel.tvhttp://mise...tion43pdf?.pdf

a crank posts the stuff from another crank.

todays crank conservatives, are no different than yesterdays crank
conservatives, here is what ray-gun said about medicaRonald Reagan
warned that if Medicare and Medicaid were passed In your sunset years,
you will be able to tell your children and grandchildren what life was
like when men were free

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/200...57936;_ylt=As7...

The Truth About Socialized Medicine

Read Madeleine M. Kunin's other articles on HuffingtonPost.com
“This is socialized medicine!” was the charge leveled by opponents of
Medicare and Medicaid in 1965, when these two landmark pieces of
legislation were being debated. The debate was a bit more civil then,
but the scare tactics were exactly the same as they are today as we
debate health care legislation. In the 60’s, I attended a dinner of
the Vermont Medical Association and listened to the speaker rage
against communism, the importation of Polish hams, and socialized
medicine, all in one sentence. Doctor’s wives—which I was at the time,
were expected to be part of the AMA Auxiliary. We were recruited to
spread the word about the evils of socialized medicine. They did not
ask us to disrupt town meetings. Instead, we were asked to hold teas
in our neighborhoods and play a record made by Ronald Reagan. The
closing words warned that if Medicare and Medicaid were passed,
Reagan’s sonorous voice said: “In your sunset years, you will be able
to tell your children and grandchildren what life was like when men
were free.” I was not a typical doctor’s wife. I recruited some of my
doctors’ wives friends and we started a counter group, which we tamely
called a “study group” to ostensibly discuss the legislation. My real
mission was to demonstrate that not all doctors, and not all doctors’
wives opposed this bill. Our first event was a debate held between the
head of the Vermont Medical Society and an official from the agency of
health education and welfare, as it was then called. Unfortunately, he
was not an effective proponent of the law and a young legislator,
named Phil Hoff, who later became Governor, accused us of slanting the
debate in favor of the AMA. I had to set the record straight. At our
next event, we would just present one side—in favor of the
legislation, I made sure this speaker was well prepared. We filled
City Hall auditorium. Unlike today, there was no shouting, but a lot
of questioning, and tremendous concern about providing coverage for
the elderly. Ronald Reagan turned out to be wrong. Most of us are so
happy, in our sunset years, to have access to Medicare, and yes, we
are still free. The lesson here is simple—the hysterical exaggerations
that are being blasted from the airwaves are almost identical to what
we heard then. They did not triumph then, and they must not be allowed
to drown out the voices of reason and common sense today.
Madeleine
M. Kunin is the former Governor of Vermont and was the state's first
woman governor. She served as Ambassador to Switzerland for President
Clinton, and was on the three-person panel that chose Al Gore to be
Clinton's VP. She is the author of Pearls, Politics, and Power: How
Women Can Win and Lead from Chelsea Green Publishing.