Old August 17th 09, 01:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D. Peter Maus D. Peter Maus is offline

Default Looking for Noise Source

On 8/16/09 17:01 , TL wrote:
I have a Drake SW8. Other than this I've never had any problems with
this receiver. With the whip selected or the external (with the antenna
plugged in) selected, I get an annoying pulse noise (about every 1/2
second) over the speaker. If I select the external antenna and the
antenna is not plugged in, there is no noise. Plug the antenna in and
the pulses start. It only happens on the shortwave bands. I've turned
off the computer, router, powerline ethernet connection, etc with no
results. The only thing I haven't secured is the cordless phones but
they've never caused problems before. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thx.

A multi-line phone will do this.

It may also be an appliance in a neighbor's house, since most
neighborhoods are wired with two or three homes on a transformer.