Old August 17th 09, 02:34 PM
n9zas n9zas is offline
Senior Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanni View Post
Hi,
Thought you guys would be able to help me on this.
Why would my 220 volt table saw hum when its plugged in and not running. It is in a newly built shop about 60 feet away from the main house. I noticed this the other day when I went in, so I unplugged it. It was fairly cold (35 degrees) in the unheated building. It runs fine when being used. All the wiring seems to have the right polarity. When I turn on the fluorescent lights they hum also until they warm up , but I know that is normal. I am stumped as to why the saw would hum without even being turned on.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts, Yanni
The hum is normal in cold temps. But make sure everything is grounded!
N9ZAS.