Old August 18th 09, 07:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
MoiInAust MoiInAust is offline

Default AR88 -- help!

"Piero Soldi" wrote in message
MoiInAust ha scritto:
"MoiInAust" wrote in message
"Piero Soldi" wrote in message
news Hi,
probably a gassy 6H6 ?

Cheers,
P.
Thanks. Yes, I thought that possible but according to my AVO 160, no gas
on any valves! I'll try that again with some replacements...

Further to that Peiro, there is no provision on either of my valve
testers to test diodes for gas! I always understood that was a problem
if there was grid current but of course in a 6H6 there are no grids!

Also a gassy diode can make havoc in a very high impedance circuit like
the AVC of AR88 ( note resistor's values ! ) .

If slightly ionized inside, the *reverse* resistance is much lower than
normal, as some positive ions are bombing 6H6's cathode.

Try exchanging it using the limiter tube, also a 6H6, and redo
measurements, if something different, try another 6H6.

Sometimes old *new* tubes need to be "formed" before use activating
residual getter inside applying filament only, for a very long time,
like 48 hours and after that some other time wth plate voltage on !

HTH,
Piero.

Well that's something new I learned! I've got a few and will try different
ones! Thanks heaps!