Old August 18th 09, 04:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Can I use wirewound resistors to build an HF attenuator?

In message , dave
writes
Ralph Mowery wrote:
"dave" wrote in message
news:0vqdnaEyq4zYAhfXnZ2dnUVZ_hJi4p2d@earthlink. com...
I need to lose about 5 dB from a 15 Watt exciter. Thanks.

Simple answer is no.
While you can build one with wirewound resistors , the normal
formulars will not usually work at RF and you will have a lot of
inductance to deal with.
Even the socalled non-inductive resistors are only so at the audio
frequencies.

Can the inductive reactance be cancelled with capacitors? I'm mainly
concerned with 40, 30 and 20 meters.

If your highest frequency is only 14MHz, and you're not trying to obtain
a sooper-dooper perfect match for your exciter, then I'd say that you
would certainly get away with using wirewound resistors.

To minimise the effects of the inductance, you could try mounting the
resistors 'hard down' against a ground plane. You might need a sheet of
some insulating material to avoid any danger of shorting to it.

And presumably, to get rid of 5dB (nearly 3/4 of your original 15W) you
intend to use paralleled-up resistors. This in itself will help minimise
the inductance.
--
Ian