Old August 20th 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ian Wade G3NRW Ian Wade G3NRW is offline

Default MFJ-269 Antenna Analyzer experience

Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 Time: 15:45:00

Have a look at the AIM 4170 at
http://www.arraysolutions.com/

I have that and a MFJ analyzer.

For a quick antenna adjustment, the MFJ is easier to use.

For in depth analysis, the AIM can't be beat.

If I had only one, I would prefer to have the AIM.

I'll second that. The AIM4170 *is* expensive, especially when you add on
15% UK sales tax (and it took me 18 months to take the plunge), but it
does so much more than the MFJ units.

Instant computer readout, in nice graphical form, of all the antenna
system parameters over any selected frequency range up to 170MHz. They
claim to have interference reduction capability to minimize the effects
of close AM MW signals, but I don't live close enough to an AM
transmitter to test this.

The other nice thing about the 4170 is the ability to control it
remotely. With the 4170 connected to the antenna system in the shack and
controlled by a local PC, it's then possible to remotely access the PC
from a cheapy notebook in the backyard. You can make antenna adjustments
out in the yard and see the effects of the changes immediately, without
having to repeatedly walk back indoors to look at the 4170 PC. This
feature alone has saved me a *lot* of time:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/A...Control%20HOWT
O%20-%20090106.pdf

Well worth a look.

--