Old August 21st 09, 10:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default removing guy wires on tower

"Ed" wrote in message
. 192.196...

While I must disagree with my own offering below, I realize your
situation and will offer a suggestion, anyway. I would loosen,
slightly, the remaining two guy wires so as to not have them pulling
tightly on the tower when the third one is removed.

However, I would be concerned with no guy at all in that side of the
tower.... could you remove the guy in question and move it to a
temporary anchor point still on the 180 degree side of the tower where it
might still offer a minimal amount of support?... and could you use a
temporty rope as far to the other side of the 180 degree side in question
and set up a temporary guy there? Without ANY minimal support, should
the tree bump the tower when it is falling, you could have a disaster
without some kind of minimal insurance guys. Heck, even a 20 foot 2 x
4 braced against the opposite side of the tower might be better than
nothing.

Ed K7AAT

Ed the trees I want to remove are not close enough to hit the tower. The
guy wires are almost 50 feet out from the tower and some other trees in
between. My problem is there is a gap between some other trees and it is
almost a funnel effect that will put the tree I want to cut almost on top of
one set of guys. Something like the last 20 or 30 feet of tree could hit
that set of guys.

I don't think I can move the guys that I want to take loose. They might
still be in the line of fire..I will probably wait to cool weather gets
here. Too hot for now when I can be inside playing with the radio.