Old August 21st 09, 10:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default removing guy wires on tower

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

I have noticed that. No mater what you have someone usually chimes
in that it is not the best.

That begs the question of why you asked.

You cannot convey all of the relevant information in your short posting.
One of the things about hazard identification is the skill of a competent
person looking throught their own eyes will see things that a less
competent person will not recognise. Why do people drive cranes, cherry
pickers etc into power lines, trees etc... most often because they didn't
*see* them.

If I was responsible for an operation that involved loosening one guy, or
one set of guys, or more, and there was an adverse outcome, a court of
law would probably find that I was negligent as I ought to have been
aware that loosening one or more guys was a potentially hazardous
operation (I am a qualified Advanced Rigger in VK).

I doubt that claiming that I or others had done it before without
accident would be an adequate defence.

That is not to say that loosening one or more guys guarantees failure...
but lots of tower accidents are *caused* by loosening guy wires.

Dropping a tree or part of it onto a guy wire is also a dangerous thing
to do.

Owen