Old August 21st 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default removing guy wires on tower

In article ,
Owen Duffy wrote:

That is not to say that loosening one or more guys guarantees failure...
but lots of tower accidents are *caused* by loosening guy wires.

Dropping a tree or part of it onto a guy wire is also a dangerous thing
to do.

At this point, I'd be tempted to suggest tackling the problem from the
other direction.

Don't just drop the tree in question!

Instead, do what's normally done if a tree needs to be removed from an
area with nearby stuff-you-don't-want-to-have-a-tree-fall-on. Have a
competent tree-removal service take the tree down, from the top on
down... remove and lower the limbs and upper trunk in sections.

It may be possible to remove the upper portion, and shorten the
remaining trunk enough that it will be physically impossible for that
part of the trunk to strike the tower or guys when it's felled no
matter how its fall happens to be channeled and no matter how badly it
bounces.

Or, it may be easier and safer to just take it all the way down to
ground level in pieces.

Yeah, this will take longer and cost more than just chainsawing
through the base of the trunk and yelling "Timmmbbbbbeeeeerrrrrrrrr!",
but it may cost less and be safer than trying to de-guy the tower.
It'll certainly cost less than the consequences of having the tower
fall down, as a result of deliberate guy removal/loosening or having
the tree fall on it.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO