Old August 22nd 09, 07:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob Bob Bob is offline

Default Do I Insulate the yagi boom from the mast

Kind of off topic but maybe interesting.

In Sydney in I guess the late 70's two broadcast FM stations came online
on 105 and 106MHz (Approx). Their antennas were both mounted on one of
the big TV towers in the northern suburbs.

Individual tests proved positive, good range etc etc. When they were
both turned on however they caused severe interference to the AM BC band
(1MHz or so) and also the CH10 TV (212MHz or so). As I remember hearing
the fault was a rusty rivet holding some tower sections together.

This information is anecdotal. I havent verified it!

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

JB wrote:

It might be a good idea to drop the whole thing and make sure there is no
corrosion anywhere, even at the cost of replacing hardware and any rusty
masts. rust and corrosion can actually cause broadband noise and harmonics
that doesn't come out of the transmitter. Perhaps there is an issue with
your rotor?