Old August 29th 09, 02:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bushcraftgregg Bushcraftgregg is offline

Default Jongensgat DXpedition in South Africa

On Aug 29, 5:26*am, John Plimmer wrote:
Just back from our fabulous DXpedition site at Jongensgat on the
Indian Ocean.

Heard during our latest Jongensgat DXpedition: 25th August 2009
Sunrise was 0502z

1670 kHz 0500z "WFSM" Dry Branch GA "Fox Sports 1670" a 1 kw station
13,200 km's/8,200miles
away. And:
1500 kHz 0400z "WAKE" Valparaiso IN "CNN Radio" at only 25 watts
nightime
power 13,900 km's/8,600 miles away (near Gary Indiana and Lake
Michigan).

RX Icom IC-7600 with 350m beverage on ground

My previous best low power catch was:
* *1,410 kHz 0139z 04/10/04 WKKP MCDONOUGH, GA USA 58 watt
nightime power

My pal Gary Deacon got 530 Falklands Island at 0600z the same time on
a Sony
ULR

You may wonder how one can get a catch on the BCB MW band so far away,
as the theory of "skip" shows it is not possible. But there is another
theory that by "ducting" is how the signal arrives so far away. In
this theory the signal from the transmitter gets caught up in the
ionosphere and travels huge distances in it before randomly coming
back down to earth. How you catch these faint ducted signals is pure
chance and requires a bit of diligence by the operator, and of course
luck and a good antenna.

Have fun and good DX

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7600,
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A, Eton E100
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Great post John, superb catches.