Old September 5th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Harrison Richard Harrison is offline

Default Art - prove it or go away

Tom, K0TAR wrote:
"Usually they are correct, sometimes it is arguable, seldom is anyone
wrong. But i`ve never seen anyone not step up.

Until Art Unwin.

Who refuses to prove enything."

I don`t think Art needs to prove that a 1/2-wavelength of wire behaves
as a reaonant 1/4- wavelength under proper conditions. It has been so
reported many times by many reliable reporters and should have become
common knowledge long ago.

I`ll quote only one source as I have no appetite for digging through
many dusty volumes right know. That source I consider very reliable is
"The 20th Edition of the "ARRL Antenna Book". On page 6-28 it says: "
The quarter-wavelengrh helically wound vertical can be used in the same
manner as a full-size vertical. That is, it can be worked against a wire
radial system (four or more radials) or it can be ground-mounted with
radials buried or lying on the ground.

On page 6-29 it says: " "Experience has indicated that a secrion of wire
approximately one half wavelength long, wound on an insulating form with
linear pitch (equal spacing between turns) will come close to yielding a
resonant quarter wavelength. Therefore, an antenna for use on 160 meters
would require approximately 230 feet of wire, spirally wound on the
support.

Art may have discovered the above alone but he was very unlikely to have
been the first discoverer.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI