Old September 7th 09, 02:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Robert11[_2_] Robert11[_2_] is offline

Default Coax Connectors Question

Hi,

Great group; really appreciate the help.

Do receiving only.

Have been going around a bit in trying to configure several radios and
antennas, including HF receivers and Scanners, with multiple antennas. If I
use "good" quality multi-position switches to do it, the $ are getting up a
bit.

Since I don't really switch all that often, two or three times a day
perhaps, I was wondering about just forgetting the switches and just make a
simple plug panel using, I imagine, BNC connectors and coax.

So, what kind of life might I expect with BNC's, plugging and unplugging
them ?
They certainly weren't designed with multiple in and outs in mind, but they
are kind of
well built, and I imagine they would take a fair amount of usage this way;
perhaps ?

Anyone have any experience with this kind of an application ?
What would degrade first in them; the center pin ?

Any better coax connectors for this kind of patch panel usage in your
opinions ?

Thanks again,
Bob