Old September 7th 09, 04:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default Coax Connectors Question

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hi,

Great group; really appreciate the help.

Do receiving only.

Have been going around a bit in trying to configure several radios and
antennas, including HF receivers and Scanners, with multiple antennas. If

use "good" quality multi-position switches to do it, the $ are getting up

bit.

Since I don't really switch all that often, two or three times a day
perhaps, I was wondering about just forgetting the switches and just make

simple plug panel using, I imagine, BNC connectors and coax.

So, what kind of life might I expect with BNC's, plugging and unplugging
them ?
They certainly weren't designed with multiple in and outs in mind, but

they
are kind of
well built, and I imagine they would take a fair amount of usage this way;
perhaps ?

Anyone have any experience with this kind of an application ?
What would degrade first in them; the center pin ?

Any better coax connectors for this kind of patch panel usage in your
opinions ?

Thanks again,
Bob

BNC connectors can be had for as low as 50 cents. They last a long time if
you are careful and I have many surplus connectors in use. I never bothered
with patch panels, but it would be a natural if you are using Hardline or
1/2" cables up the tower anyway. Heavier coax to N connectors then 2-3 ft
rg 58c patch cables to radios. There are Cable connectors to BNC but you
might want to shop around. It might be cheaper than using N - BNC adapters.
I have never had to replace any connectors, but wear and tear has had me
replace a few patch cables. About once a year I smash a Q tip and soak it
in 90% Isopropyl and clean the grunge that gets down in the connectors.

There have been a few radios, scanners, that I have modified with bulkhead
BNC females

At one point I was a factory tech for a several HT models and would add
crystals and align en masse. The radios all had TNC connectors (Threaded
rather than Bayonet) After removing the bayonet shell from the patch cable,
it was a quick disconnect for either BNC or TNC. Not particularly proper
but fast. In any case Stock BNC is quick and good to 2Gig but I wouldn't
put more than 50 watts through them at that frequency.