Old September 7th 09, 04:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Coax Connectors Question

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 09:23:40 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

So, what kind of life might I expect with BNC's, plugging and unplugging
them ?

Lousy. The ears on the BNC jack will get worn fairly quickly. Some
of my walkie talkies have BNC connectors for the antenna connector,
all with worn out ears.

What would degrade first in them; the center pin ?

The two ears on the jack will wear out. The electrical connections
will be fine for many years if you don't care about mechanical
retention.

Any better coax connectors for this kind of patch panel usage in your
opinions ?

For scanning, almost any kind of coax switch will work. A mechanical
(not electronic) 75 ohm video switch or IBM 3270 network switch will
do just fine. You'll never notice the impedance mismatch and losses,
except perhaps at 800MHz trunking frequencies.
http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Results.aspx/search-bnc+switch
The mechanical switch might also use phono connectors, not BNC.
Adapters are common. Of course, you can build your own.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D