Old September 10th 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Big Benz Big Benz is offline

Default What is the best handheld scanner on the market today?

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:15:23 -0700, "Alex Clayton"
wrote:

"Jack Newhouse" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:17:21 -0500, Jack Newhouse
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 19:55:44 -0400, Usenet User
wrote:

Sorry, PSR500 portable and PSR600 desktop. Previously had the Uniden
996. Terrible digital trunking scanner. GRE have both been great and
audio is crisp and clear.

Golan Klinger wrote:
Usenet User wrote:

My GRE runs rings around the Uniden.

Perhaps you could provide a model number and a link to some information
about your particular scanner? That might be helpful.

How do you all feel about the Uniden BC246T handheld scanner?

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4753

It gets some wonderful reviews. It seems that would be the perfect
scanner for me here in Swampeast Missouri. I've decided not to spend
any more money on my Uniden Pro 97

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5082

Well, I went ahead and ordered a new GRE PSR 300 for $148.00 and a
W-881 Super Gainer BNC Portable Antenna for $32.95

They next one I want to buy is the Uniden BC246T. It has a totally
different way of working. so it might be fun to play around with that.

do you think these are good choices?

I can speak highly of the BC246T, I have 2 of them. I bought the first one
not long after they hit because of size. Was using a Pro95 (that still
works) at work. The learning curve was a bit of a PITA since they are so
different, but after a little frustration I had it programmed and working. I
use the Radio Shack 800 MHz antennas on mine, they seem to work a little
better on the 800 band and are easier to carry. I often carry it in a
T-shirt pocket with another shirt over it. The reason I got the second one
was after a couple years of hard use at work, the first one was having
trouble with the switch for the earphone. It is used with an ear piece
plugged in at work. That one does still work but now and then I have to push
on the jack to get it to work. Second one has been going strong for a couple
years now.

Well, I've had my GRE PSR 300 for about three weeks now, and I must
say I'm extremely happy with it. It looks like my Pro 97, but this
scanner is way more sensitive. In fact, it may be to sensitive. It
pulls in weaker stations much better, but I have to really tune the
squelch way way back to stop it from picking up every annoying humm,
click, and other unwanted noise on the bands.

I would definitely rate it a "10" on a scale of ten. I already have
some trunking stuff programmed into it and that works well too.

Thanks for suggesting the GSE PSR 300. I'm as happy as a mouse in a
cheese factory now. And I only paid $148.00 for it.

I also bought a highly sensitive antenna from Scannermaster. It cost
me nearly $40.00 Perhaps that it is another reason why it receives so
well. The antenna is flexible rubber also. So when it get bent, or
jammed it springs back to it's original shape.

http://barckobama.buildlastingsuccess.com