Old September 12th 09, 09:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Szczepan Białek Szczepan Białek is offline

Default Corriolis force

"Richard Fry" wrote
On Sep 11, 1:45 pm, Szczepan Białek wrote:
The both antennas (transmitter and receiver) should be aligned. You
wrote:

"Most compact, and inexpensive MW AM broadcast receivers use an
integrated,
ferrite core "loopstick" receive antenna.

When such receivers are oriented with their control legends and

displays aligned in the horizontal plane, as when the bottom/back of
the receiver is sitting on a table, "

S* then wrote:

It means that the waves are horizontaly polarized.

Not so. The receive antenna I described responds to the magnetic

field, not the electric field.

MW has about hundred meters. Is impossible to place normal dipole. The
helical wound antenna is used. The rules are the same like for normal
dipole.

In an EM wave these two fields are at right angles to each other, and to
the direction of travel.

The polarisation of a wave is given by the physical orientation of its

electric field. If that field is vertically polarised then the
receive antenna I described will receive maximum (magnetic) field, and
my experiment will prove that the incoming EM wave is vertically
polarised.

Fields are the math. I am writing about real observations.

One mast is omnidirectional. The two are directional like a horizontal
dipole.

However a horizontal dipole radiates horizontally polarised waves. A

directional MW array radiates vertically polarized waves, regardless
of the shape of its azimuth pattern.

Look at the loop antennas. The polarization depends from feeding place.
The two masts is like "special" tipped dipole. The masts are 1/2 wave lenght
apart.
S*