Old September 14th 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Did I make a mistake in connecting radials to...

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:32:35 +0000 (UTC),
(Myron A. Calhoun) wrote:

My worry revolves around the fact that, while my radials are NOT *IN*
the soil, they are pretty-well connected TO the soil, and two of them
are connected to the best ground I could buy when my house was being
built. Have I done wrong by grounding them, or should I have used
INSULATED radials and NOT "pinned" them to the soil and NOT connected
them to my Ufer ground?

Hi Myron,

What you describe up to this "worry" sounded fine to the point of
being classic.

The radials are in very tight coupling with "ground" (earth, common,
....). As for the rest of it, the Ufer ground, the rods, and extra
accoutrements - they reduce shock and lightning hazard and are only
vaguely related to your RF needs.

As always, ensure that all grounds (including the point where all the
radials converge) are tied together according to code.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC