Old November 7th 03, 02:51 PM
John Walton

I have adapted to the "toaster oven" method -- and now I am smt'ng all the
time:
my technique is to use an instrument looking like a pick to place a very
small dab of solder paste on each of the pads, then place the device using
tweezers. it takes about 4 minutes in the toaster oven -- some film
capacitors, electrolytics can only be soldered ONCE. my technique is to do
all the resistors and ceramic caps first on one run, then do the
electrolytics and IC's second, the discrete and non-SMT devices are then
soldered in by hand.

the method was discussed in Nuts n Volts a few issues ago -- using stainless
steel stencils -- I find that I can do it by hand.

"Tom Kreyche" wrote in message
I can't avoid it anymore! I have an IC in SSOP package that I want to use.
Does anyone have tips on how to do it or maybe this is on a FAQ someplace.

thanks, Tom