Old November 7th 03, 08:54 PM
kf4tun

There is an epoxy out there is made for joining aluminum( I forget the name,
its like JB-Weld, but for aluminum). You can find it at the larger auto
parts stores, and you should be able to find it on the internet. When you
grind/file it down, it's hard to tell where the aluminum ends and the epoxy
begins.

Jim

"Mike W" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 19:06:33 -0000, "uk-hamman"
wrote:

HI THERE
Just a thought , I have often made my own alum boxes , for projects
that I have built myself , and have always wanted to solder
the edges shut , for a more pleasing look ,
or sometimes solder two pieces together.

I've never succeeded with soldering Ali, what I do is the use
aluminium filings loaded into epoxy resin as a glue/filler.
My method is to.
Degrease the aluminium with Carbon Tet. or similar.

Stick some tape over the joint to be 'closed' on the side you can't
easily file, leaving a gap / fillet for the epoxy to fill.

Mix the epoxy as per normal then introduce the fileings. I find
diecast ali fileings are best as they seem to be more granular and
file finer grit.

'wet' the joint with some unloaded epoxy and then fill the joint with
the loaded epoxy using a spatula.

After its set I file the joint to an acceptable profile.

I have used this method to fill unwanted holes in diecast boxes with
good results. I'm not sure about its screening ability but its a lot
better than an open hole, both for screening and presentation.

The best epoxy I have used is called "JB Weld" which is incredible for
sticking ali and it is easily worked. Acceptable results are possible
with "Araldite" but it does'nt appear to have the same 'stick'
ability.

hth, Mike W, G8NXD

---