Old September 19th 09, 03:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default IC-703 vs FT-817

I'm trying to decide between the Icom IC-703 and Yaesu FT-817 for a
portable QRP rig. I would probably get the optional narrow CW filter,
which is available for each.

I have downloaded the user manuals for each but haven't been able to
find much information about their built-in keyers.

IC-703 has a setup menu that chooses between a regular keyer and a bug.
I assume that the regular keyer uses an iambic paddle, but it doesn't
elaborate on how it works when the paddle is squeezed. Does it have dot
and dash insertion? Does it have automatic character spacing?

The FT-817 has even less information about the keyer. How does it work
with an iambic paddle?

I would appreciate any insight into the keyers, as well as any general
comments comparing the two rigs.

73, Fred
K4DII