Old September 19th 09, 07:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Panadapter mode ?

In message , Robert11
writes
Hi,

Guess this really dates me, but saw a reference to a

"panadapter mode"

What is a, "panadapter" please ?

I did a Google on it, but still unclear.

Thanks,
B.

The original Panadapter (in the 1950, I believe) was an add-on device
which performed the functions of a spectrum analyser, displaying the
band occupancy either side of the receiver centre frequency. The
frequency span was rather limited.

From a quick Google, it appears that the term has been adopted for the
spectrum display in modern receivers (especially digital).
--
Ian