Old September 21st 09, 07:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default IC-703 vs FT-817

In article ,
"Dale Parfitt" wrote:

"KE5LDO" wrote in message

You can purchase the Elecraft 2, 3, or any of the others completely
built, also. I suffer the same problems with poor eyesight. KE5LDO

--
KE5LDO

Unless things have changed ( I have built 2 of the K2's) Elecraft does not
offer it built. They do however have independent builders they list on their
WEBsite.
The K3 may be purchased built- of course it only involves non-soldering
assembly of boards and panels anyway.
Dale W4OP

Last year I built an Anatek "blue" ESR meter kit that is probably quite
simple compared to the K2. There were several times where I soldered
parts into the wrong holes! After correcting the mistakes, it
eventually was finished and works well.

If I went with the K2, I'd build it myself. It might take a while.

The one complaint I've read about the K2, was that it drifts noticeably.
The specs on the Elecraft web site and in the K2 owner's manual, are not
very clear. The manual does mention a 100 Hz warm-up drift, and an
accuracy of "+/- 30 Hz over a 500 kHz range (typ) when calibrated". The
calibration procedure seems a bit awkward.

The K3 kit would be a lot easier to assemble, and a TCXO option is
available. On the other hand, the price of a 10 Watt K3 is somewhat
high. With the ATU, TCXO and a roofing filter, the price is around
$2000. An IC-703 might run around $1000, an FT-817 around $870.

73,
Fred
K4DII