Old September 21st 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Joe is offline

Default First radio

Dear Sir:

I recommend the Sony ICF-SW7600GR over the Kaito KA1103 for two
reasons:

1) The Sony is by far the more advanced-design radio. Even though its
basic design is now fifteen years old, no other manufacturer has yet
been able to duplicate its features and design in a compact portable
shortwave receiver.

2) While I agree that Sony "service" and "technical support" is
wretched at best, I believe that this "problem" is much exaggerated. I
currently own nine (9) Sony shortwave receivers - two ICF-SW35s, two
ICF-SW7600Gs, and five ICF-SW7600GRs. The only "problem" I have ever
had with any of them is, on one of my 'GRs, the whip antenna support
screw loosened and couldn't be totally tightened. The repair?
PartStoredotcom sells replacement antennas as well as just about any
part you could possibly need and their prices are as fair as possible
(Sony parts are never cheap). As you can easily obtain a service
manual for the '7600GR online - and for free! - any competent service
company can work on your radio should the occasion arise. (Replacing
the antenna, in my case, took less than one minute and the only tool
necessary was a small Phillips-head screwdriver.)

I do not believe that you could get parts/service any easier, if at
all, with the Kaito radio, as good and as inexpensive as it is. I have
found that, in general, Chinese-made products do not have the same
longevity as do Japanese-made ones (and the Sony ICF-SW7600GR is
indeed still made in Japan).

Some users have reported that the Kaito KA1103 is slightly more
sensitive off its whip than is the Sony ICF-SW7600GR. But this is a
moot point as I, and I believe most serious shortwave listeners, will
use an external shortwave antenna except in the most casual of
situations. I myself almost never use the whip, much preferring to use
the Sony AN-LP1 Active Antenna with my radio. After all, if you are
searching the shortwaves, you want the best possible performance from
your receiver and, with an external antenna, the Sony is the equal of
any other compact portable shortwave receiver in sensitivity - and
often their superior due to its exceptional (for a portable) dynamic
range with an external antenna.

And finally, with its advanced circuitry such as its synchronous
detection circuit, the Sony can often "bring in" signals which often
would be unlistenable on other receivers - and this can apply to MW
broadcasts as well (if not transmitting with IBOC). Two bandwidths are
nice (and I do wish the Sony had them) but they pale in removing
interference from one sideband in comparison with a good sync circuit.
(If you don't like sync on a particular station, you can always turn
it off.) The Sony's ECSS performance (using SSB to listen to a
station) and, of course, its SSB performance is second-to-none in its
class.

The above arguments represent my opinion only; I know that others may
disagree. But I have owned my Sony's for many years now and I use all
of them heavily. (My oldest 'G is from 1998 and my oldest 'GR is from
2001; my newest 'GRs are from 2005.) I must state that I have never
owned a Kaito KA1103 but, in trying out the Grundig G5 for about 20
minutes a couple of years ago at a local Radio Shack, a radio based on
the Kaito's circuitry, I was unimpressed both with the Grundig's build
quality and its performance (its sound quality was much better than
the Sony's, of course, but that is easily corrected, should one so
desire, by using external amplified [computer] speakers).

I hope the above gives you some food for thought.

Best,

Joe

On Sep 21, 3:38*am, JimK wrote:
Hello, I'm interested in trying shortwave listening. I have narrowedmy choices to the Kaito1103, and Sony SW7600GR.

I would very much appreciate any opinions on which you prefer, and
why.

Also, is lack of wide/narrow switch on the Sony a problem?

Thanks.