Old September 23rd 09, 12:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

Default Aluminum as a ground system

A new commercial radio hilltop vault is being installed in my area....
and the contractor has installed the tower and vault ground ring with
aluminum wire/cable, I have been advised. I do NOT know the gauge of
the wire, but I am curious what your thoughts are on this issue. I have
been involved the past 35 years of my career in a number of ground
installations and every one of those used large copper cable... no
aluminum anywhere. The last of these I saw was 6 or 7 years ago.

QUESTION: Are aluminum ground systems becoming common? Are they
reliable, even after absorbing some heavy strikes? Any other comments?

Ed K7AAT on the Oregon Coast

..

..